Pages

Thursday 25 January 2024

The Secrets Beneath

 

Back Cover

Some secrets can only stay buried for so long...

Anna Lakeman has spent her life working alongside her paleontologist father, drawing intricate sketches at ever dig. When they find dinosaur bones near their home in Wyoming Territory, they're given the opportunity of a lifetime and are swiftly caught up in the competitive era of the Bone Wars. But after her father becomes sick and an old beau returns for the summer, Anna's world is upended, and the practical, orderly life she has made for herself shatters.

Medical student Joshua Ziegler left his hometown to forget Anna, the one woman he truly loved and deeply hurt. But when he returns, time hasn't erased the feelings they've always had for each other. After Joshua's nephew goes missing - just like his sister did years ago - and Anna's job is threatened, tensions mount and dangerous secrets are unearthed.

Review

The Secrets Beneath was a bit of a surprise. I've read historicals by Kimberley Woodhouse before and really enjoyed how she brings an intriguing part of history to life in a very unique way. And in this novel, it was super fun to dive into the "Bone Wars" era (something I'd never heard of before!). Paleontology is something that's always fascinated me so I enjoyed exploring that a bit in The Secrets Beneath.

I enjoy historicals with a twist, and throwing in a mysterious crime angle certainly made this story unique. What I was bit surprised about was how DARK it turned the story. It was like unwittingly diving into a Criminal Minds episode, and I found myself flipping over pages that were in the villain's point of view. The villain was so downright creepy and disturbed, and I didn't like those parts at all. It was almost as if it didn't fit in with the story, but I suppose you don't usually read a Christian historical with some psychotic person in them!

In the end, The Secrets Beneath left me with some mixed emotions. The main character, Anna, was a bit difficult to like at first, but Joshua was sweetheart, and I did enjoy the rekindling of their romance. I'm really intrigued on the direction of this new series and hope the subsequent books don't have the same dark undertones...we shall see! 


Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. 


No comments:

Post a Comment