Pages

Tuesday 20 November 2018

The Best of Intentions

Cover Art

Back Cover

She swore to protecrt her nephew at any cost.  But what if that price is a chance at love?

In the aftermath of WWI, Grace Abernathy is determined to reunite her family, crossing an ocean to convince her widowed sister to return home to England.  Yet, in Toronto she dsicovers more tragedy - her nephew Christian in the custody of his paternal relatives, the formidable Easton family, who rejected Grace's sister because of her low social status.

Unconvinced the Eastons can be fitting caretakers, Grace uses an assumed name to secure the position of Christian's nanny and moves into the Easton estate.  There she can observe the family up close, while ensuring Christian's well-being.  In the course of her new role, she is shocked to find herself falling in love with Andrew Easton, the boy's guardian.  Unfortunately, Andrew is promised to a spoiled socialite who is sure to make a terrible stepmother for Christian.  Will Grace be able to protect her nephew...and her heart?
 
Review
 
Four months and one day ago, I became an auntie.  While I do not have children of my own, I do have a strong love towards my little niece and an innate desire to see that she is safe and protected.  Fortunately, I do not need to ever worry over her security and well-being over how she is being raised as my sister and brother-in-law are fantastic parents.  But all the same, I couldn't imagine what it would be like if my niece wasn't being raised in a loving, supportive, caring, and safe environment.  I do know that I, like Grace Abernathy in The Best of Intentions, would do absolutely everything in my power to ensure my little niece is cared for in the best way.
 
So, I can completely sympathize with the heroine in Susan Anne Mason's latest novel, which is a kickoff to the new series, "Canadian Crossings" (can I also pause and say that, as a Canadian, I'm really loving how this series is set in Canada?!).  But of course, whenever there's a decision or course of action taken that relies on a bit of deception, the successive events are bound to get a bit sticky and a bit messy...
 
Similarly to Ms. Mason's previous novel, A Most Noble Heir (SO good!), The Best of Intentions has its fair share of family drama, including more than one story of forbidden love.  Tensions are high, relationships are strained, and things get all tangled up into a big, messy knot that brings one to wonder how will everything get all straightened out??  Whew!  It's a roller coaster ride of emotions, and so entirely worth every second of it. 
 
I highly recommend this novel and will be eagerly anticipating the follow-up, The Highest of Hopes coming in March 2019!
 
 
Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment