Pages

Thursday 11 October 2018

International Day of the Girl - Combatting Period Poverty


Today is the International Day of the Girl, and I'm going to divert from my regular book review posts to highlight some incredible work that is being fostered by Compassion Canada (a child sponsorship program that is very dear to my heart).  Did you know that in Uganda, girls will often trade sex in order to obtain sanitary napkins?  I was shocked when I learned this!  What is something we take for granted, others are forced to sell their bodies in order to obtain.  Fortunately, a local church, community, and Compassion project centre in Uganda are coming together to combat this period poverty - and empowering girls as a result.  You can read the incredible story about it here on Compassion Canada's blog.






No comments:

Post a Comment